Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Year Ago.....


A year ago on Christmas Eve, Charley boarded a plane bound for Kauai, Hawaii to visit his two sisters, Muriel and Barbara. Charley's baby sister Barbara, sensing the shortened time together, arranged a magnificent holiday for Charley. It was a beautiful gift of time spent together in a splendid setting.

Charley had a wonderful Christmas with Muriel, Alvin Sr., Barbara, and Alvin Jr. Charley described his trip to me in great detail upon his return. He enjoyed the lazy afternoons spent with Alvin, Muriel's beloved husband of more than fifty years, looking at the ocean and lamenting their beautiful surroundings. Mostly though, he very much enjoyed time with his sisters.

I was in Alameda, CA last week both working and spending time with my Aunt Barbara. It felt like we were on a marathon slumber party and I wore bags under my eyes to prove it. We had such fun together. I felt Charley's presence very strongly when close friends, Joann Pheasant and Marijo Gillan joined the fun. The four of us shared a meal together and our memories of Charley in front of a warm fire.

That night, Aunt Barbara and I fell asleep passing Charley's reading glasses back and forth between us. We both miss him terribly, we decided, but agreed he is in a much better place.

No comments: