Sunday, November 9, 2008

Charley and The Big Girls!

Waiting to get off the ferry to Salt Spring island, British Columbia, in the spring of 1993 with a set of rowboat oars in my hand, a woman as tall as I am came up to me and asked “Are you from Seattle? Do you row?” Charley had sent Mary Martha over with his card. We were building a cabin at nearby Parker Island and they were headed to St Mary’s Lake on Salt Spring for a weekend rowing camp with his newly formed dream group of tall woman rowers, The Big Girls (TBGs). One had to be over 5”8” and “not too young.” (Over the years I would watch Charley perk up countless times when a tall woman went by- “ I wonder if she rows” -and try to recruit her.)

Meeting at the Garfield boat house the next week for my first rowing lesson was the beginning of a life enhancing experience with Charley and the sport he was so passionate about. I wish we had met 30 years earlier!

The TBGs listened to a LOT of very bad jokes in the boat and kept trying to get Charley to clean them up a bit! In 1996 Herb and some other guys joined our group. One group of women split off to form Interlaken Rowing Club and the new, mixed, Charley McIntyre Rowing Club was born, keeping the Thames waterman stroke alive.


In time we had our own CMRC rowing camp at Parker Island every June. There was lots of time over coffee in the morning and Irish whiskey and clams on the beach to hear multitudes of stories about everyone in rowing and most everyone who lived in Seattle as well as view the nearly endless rowing tapes Charley brought. He generously spread his rowing lore, enthusiasm and coaching skills around Parker Island so now there is a small “International” Parker Island Rowing Club that rows just like Charley! This past June was our 12th annual camp.

We learned so very much over those years from Charley about endurance, courage, and passion for life – every time we are on the water we hear this voice “hold your knees and swing out!,” “Keep at it!” Our lives have been changed. Thank you, Charley, for being our inspiration- we can only hope to be able to get in and out of a boat at age 85!

Karen and Herb Berry
**Click Photo to enlarge

1 comment:

crewbabe said...

I met Charley McIntyre and rowing in Seattle by the circuitous route, much like all good things in life.

I learned to row through a sorority sister in Long Beach California during a ten day vacation to southern cal in 1997.

Upon returning to Seattle, I asked a mutual friend which boathouse to join up with. Pocock was the answer. For a year or two I was a member of Seattle Yauht Club. Then I met Tom (my future husband) and was introduced to Charlie McIntyre Rowing Club.

Charlie encouraged me to become a better rower like all good teachers: he caught me doing something right, gave me a tip to improve on, all in a quiet, easy way. No yelling, this coach. He would distract me with stories. I would get caught up in the talk, it would relax me and the harmony between oar and water would wash over me.

Charley was a master at moving the boat with efficiency. He would tell us, 'keep the stroke, just work a little harder'. It is a motto not only for rowing, but for life. I learned to let go, and let the boat run. It became a metaphor for my life. Find the sweet spot, relax into it, let go.

Charley taught me much about myself and about life. He showed by example how to live a life of grace and courage. In the last couple of years, I watched Charley handle setbacks of divorce and illness with kindness, wisdom, and strength. It was an honor to be with him.

Like all great atheletes, he made it look easy. Being behind his stroke was poetry in motion. When he coached and coxed our boat, he brought out the best in each individual. Not so much by specific words, but by moving us to pull together, feel the boat, catch the rhythm.

I'm pleased that Charley is on smooth water now. Able to see clearly without glasses. He is missed, yet I am so grateful to have known him as coach, fellow rower and friend.