Thursday, November 13, 2008

Charley's champion, a boy named John

As Charley's student and single sculler I would like to participate in the memorial row. Charley coached me to success in both my life and in sport and clearly meant a great deal to me. To honor his memory as a national champion double sculler I would like to row the 2x with his double partner's daughter and Charley's niece Shannon Woods (daughter of Joe McIntyre).

I think the orange is a great idea; however, I will be wearing my National team gear as a tribute to Charley's success as an athlete and to pay homage to his integral role in my sculling success.
I had the fortune of having Charley in my life from the time I started sculling at age 10. At that early age, Charley's coaching consisted of imparting little technical pearls while trying to keep water fights to a minimum. Despite his best efforts, we still got very wet and I know that he secretly delighted in watching us throw one another in Lake Union.

As a middle school student I would wait patiently by the window until the yellow headlights of his red Toyota would pull up to take me to practice. Then I would dash out through the darkness and pouring rain and leap into his car. Shutting the door encapsulated me in the warm world of Charley McIntyre. The heater and Frank Sinatra blasted away as he drove me to the boathouse each morning.

As a high school student Shannon started writing my training plans and Charley would administer them staying true to his belief that, "Training gives you miles, technique only gives you inches--but races are won by inches." As a college student Charley counselled me as an athlete and as a person. On Sunday's we would sneak in a practice in the single. After college, we went out to long lunches where he told wonderful dirty jokes and talked about rowing. Honestly, sometimes I would get lost in his conversation because Charley's ability to recount the most minute detail is unmatched.

I sincerely look forward to Sunday's row. Thank you in advance to all those who will participate. And, as Charley said to me every practice and the day before he passed, "Keep the faith."

With love and admiration,


John Lorton




John Lorton racing the final at Jr World's! Don't let the pink shell fool you, this kid was fast!
He posted the fastest 2k time of the year. 6:58

No comments: