Saturday, November 22, 2008

Let the boat run.......

I met Charley McIntyre and rowing in Seattle by the circuitous route, much like all good things in life. I learned to row through a sorority sister in Long Beach California during a ten day vacation to southern cal in 1997.

Upon returning to Seattle, I asked a mutual friend which boathouse to join up with. Pocock was the answer. For a year or two I was a member of Seattle Yacht Club. Then I met Tom (my future husband) and was introduced to Charlie McIntyre Rowing Club.Charlie encouraged me to become a better rower like all good teachers: he caught me doing something right, gave me a tip to improve on, all in a quiet, easy way. No yelling, this coach, he would distract me with stories. I would get caught up in the talk, it would relax me and the harmony between oar and water would wash over me.

Charley was a master at moving the boat with efficiency. He would tell us, 'keep the stroke, just work a little harder'. It is a motto not only for rowing, but for life. I learned to let go, and let the boat run. It became a metaphor for my life. Find the sweet spot, relax into it, let go. Charley taught me much about myself and about life. He showed by example how to live a life of grace and courage.

In the last couple of years, I watched Charley handle setbacks of divorce and illness with kindness, wisdom, and strength. It was an honor to be with him. Like all great athletes, he made it look easy. Being behind his stroke was poetry in motion. When he coached and coxed our boat, he brought out the best in each individual. Not so much by specific words, but by moving us to pull together, feel the boat, catch the rhythm.

I'm pleased that Charley is on smooth water now, able to see clearly without glasses. He is missed, yet I am so grateful to have known him as coach, fellow rower and friend.

Karen McElhinney

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Special thanks to Karen for her direct involvement in Charley's care. With her nursing background and expertise, we felt very comfortable leaving Charley in her hands. Charley sure enjoyed her great company!

No comments: