Thursday, November 6, 2008

Memories, June 1951


It was with a note of sadness that I read of Charley's passing. I only knew him for a very short period of time but he impressed me enough that I have never forgotten him.It was in 1951 and Charley was the playground director at Brighton Playfield in South Seattle. I was playing on a 14 and under team from Van Asselt Playfield and we played several games and practiced at Brighton on occasion. Charley was the umpire for those games and he did an absolutely outstanding job. He was so good that I even wrote on the back of a picture, I had taken with my mother's old Kodak, "Charlie" mcIntyre, best umpire in the League. That picture was taken in June of 1951, Charley was a handsome, muscular guy who wore "shades". I was aware of his prowess as a rower but more than that he was a fine example to a young boy on a playground ball field. Any of the family are welcome to contact me concerning the picture which has followed me for the last 57 years. Rest in peace, Charley.

Larry Webb (Seattle, WA)

No comments: