Thursday, November 6, 2008

Note from a Long Lost Student

Dear Charley McIntyre Rowing Club,

I just saw Charley's obituary. I was looking for a Seattle classmates obit at the time when I ran across it. It's been maybe 25 years since I've seen him.

Back in the late 1960's Charley and Jim Gardiner started a rowing team at Seattle U. I was on the team and even helped coach for a few years after graduating. We didn't have school support for the program but managed to keep it going for quite a few years.

So Charley and Jim were responsible for introducing many students to the sport. On many an early morning on Lake Washington Charley would sit off the bow of our eight oared shell while rowing in his single. He'd bark " You've got to lever that oar" or " squeeeeze that catch don't jerk it !" in that very east coast way of his. He was a character of the first order. And generously gave up his time to share the sport of rowing.

As I recall I later took a ski lesson from Charlie as well. He was the same character on the slopes and a good teacher.

I've lived here for 30 years and lost contact with him. But just wanted to share something about Charlie.

Thanks

Bob Pigott
Coronado CA

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so glad to have run into this blog.

I am with Seattle University Crew - the same crew that Charley and Jim started 45 years ago.

It pains me deeply that we didn't get in touch with Charley before he passed away. An entire generation of rowers at SU will have not met one of the founders of our program. It was only a few months ago that we finally were connected with Gardiner. For whatever reason, up until now our connection to our alumni and past coaches have been almost nonexistent.

We are finally changing that.

Take care, and I'll be in touch.....


Sam