Sunday, November 9, 2008

Charley McIntyre, Teacher and Mentor



My "Charley" story by Jim Buckley:



Charley recruited me to the ancient Mariners Rowing Club one day at Green Lake in 1991 - or more aptly allowed me to drop by and row with them.


We rowed together, got to know each other at Voula's and the Burgermaster and watched rowing videos at his house when we lived in Madison Park. Charley recruited me to help him take a couple of fours up to Salt Spring Is. to train some tall women who became the TBGs (Those Big Gals).
Charlie, more than anyone, filled me in on rowing history from his days with Jack Kelly to the present. Charley was always encouraging even to towards us "raw" Port Townsend rowers. Here's a picture of him encouraging Lorna, one of our rowers, at the Everett Salmon Row in 2003.


Photo: Charley encouraging Lorna in Everett, 2003

No comments: